Home       Formosinho Farmhouse       Photos      City of Lagos       Luz Beach       Location

                        
   Praia da Luz

Igreja da Luz The village of Luz was called in the medieval times Our Lady of Luz;
 in more recent times the designation Luz Beach became more
 popular, especially due to the large number of sunbathers that started
 using it, back in 1928. 

 The origin of the village is directly connected to the presence of large
 number of fishermen in this seaside area, particularly after the
 installation of fishing shipyards in the 15th and 16th centuries. 
 Just as most other villages in the Algarve, Luz was subject to constant
 pirate attacks from the Arabs who wouldn’t even spare the religious
 images in the church. The Romans also left their mark, and the
 vestiges of a roman communal bath still exists in the village.

Last  actualization 09-set-2015                                                                                                                                                                     © Copyright by Quinta Fromosinho